Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
The Art of Parenting
Are you wanting a screen-free home? Listen in to get clarity on how to achieve it.
As a parent, I believe we get to choose how to deal with screens and not let it be dictated by our digitalized society today I sat down with Dr. Screen-Free Mom, Meghan an expert in the field of living with children and yes, without screens.
What we talked about:
- Her professional and personal journey that led her to be Dr. Screen-Free Mom
- Creating family Friday fun nights, that rarely involve a screens
- The sweet spot of recreational screen time for teenagers
- For children under five less is better and screens are best co-viewed with a caregiver
- Her acronym S.W.A.T. (Sleep, Weight. Aggression and Talking) explaining the effects screen time has on our littles ones
- The mindset shift you will need to become a screen-free parent
- How screen actually create a problem for you, not solve one
- Why handing a device to a child is not teaching them to self-regulate or be in tune with their emotions
- The importance of boredom, especially when working from home
- Trusting your child to entertain themselves when you are unavailable.
- Leading with your values when it comes to screen time
- Why avoidance goals are harder to keep then approach goals
- Why prioritizing to S.P.O.I.L your child is key to their success
Things to Remember
“Screen time is like any other values and you can have a strong rule that is not the same as everybody else.” - Dr. Meghan Owenz
“The screen has created a child that cannot tolerate negative emotions or know how to entertain themselves.” - Dr. Meghan Owenz
“Trust your child to entertain themselves when you are unavailable.” - Dr. Meghan Owenz