Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Let's Talk About Sects
The Children of God, later known as The Family, became notorious for their practise called “flirty fishing”. They believed in bringing up their children to have no inhibitions around sex, but the ramifications of their approach to this would echo through the generations as trauma, and result in a shocking murder-suicide committed by the very son prophesied as the Prince who would lead them through the End Times.
Full research sources listed on each episode page at www.ltaspod.com. You can support the creation of this independent podcast at www.patreon.com/ltaspod.
With thanks to Audio-Technica, presenting partner for season 3 of Let's Talk About Sects.
If you have been personally affected by involvement in a cult, or would like to support those who have been, you can find support or donate to Cult Information and Family Support if you’re in Australia (via www.cifs.org.au), and you can find resources outside of Australia with the International Cultic Studies Association (via www.icsahome.com).
Written and hosted by Sarah Steel
Research by Sarah Steel and Haley Gray
Music by Joe Gould
- The Origins of a Movement: From "The Children of God" to "The Family International" — website archive from thefamily.org, 29 April 2009
- History — The Family International website, accessed March 2020
- The Children of God: The Inside Story — by Deborah Davis & Bill Davis, Zondervan Publications, 1984
- The Children of God — by Robert McFarland, MD, The Journal of Psychohistory, Volume 24 Issue 4, Spring 1994
- The Family in Transition: The Moral Career of a New Religious Movement — by Gordon Shepherd and Gary Shepherd, research paper presented at CESNUR International Conference 2002
- The "RNR"! Destruction of the Super-Blob & the New Nationalisation — by David Berg, Mo Letter, January 1978
- The Pubs Purges — scanned and archived on exfamily.org, June 1991 & March 1996
- Summit ’93 Mama Jewels! — No.2, portion of newsletter by Karen Zerby written in 1992
- Judgement of Lord Justice Ward, 26 May 1995 — UK High Court judgement, released 19 October 1995
- Life with Grandpa – the Mene Story — by Ricky Rodriguez, originally published on MovingOn, archived by xFamily.org collaborative encyclopedia, 4 June 2002
- Ricky Rodriguez Video — and transcript, 7 January 2005
- Murder and Suicide Reviving Claims of Child Abuse in Cult — by Laurie Goodstein, The New York Times, 15 January 2005
- Statement From Family International: 'International Christian Fellowship' Issues Statement — archived briefing from spokesperson Claire Borowik, 18 January 2005
- The Life and Death of the ‘Children of God’ Messiah — by Peter Wilkinson, Rolling Stone, 30 June 2005
- From Slogans to Mantras: Social Protest and Religious Conversion in the Late Vietnam War Era — by Stephen A. Kent, Syracuse University Press, October 2001
- Generational Revolt by the Adult Children of First-Generation Members of the Children of God/The Family — by Stephen A. Kent, Cultic Studies Review, Vol. 3 No. 2, 2004
- A Statement on the Deaths of Angela Smith and Ricky Rodriguez — by The Family International, rickyrodriguez.com, 23 January 2005
- A message from beyond the grave — by Keith Morrison, Dateline NBC, updated 19 August 2005
- The Children of God/The Family: A Discussion of Recent Research — by Susan Raine, Cultic Studies Review, 5(1), 2006
- MovingOn has closed its doors — by Jules, 1 February 2009
- My Story — by Serena Kelly, undated
- Life with Grandpa — links to individual chapters compiled for xFamily.org collaborative encyclopedia
- Life with Grandpa Presents: Beauty and the Beast! Part 2: “Love Loves the Unlovely!” — art by Jeremy and Eman, scripting by Simon P., GPA Vol 14 DFO
- Life with Grandpa Presents: Real Fathers! — art by Jeremy and Eman, scripting by Simon P., GPA Vol 12 DFO
- The Family’s Policy on Lying & Deception — by Ed Priebe, Revised and edited by WC, exFamily.org, 2005
- Coming to Grips ...