Himalaya: Listen. Learn. Grow.
Let's Talk About Sects
Hare Krishnas are often seen as joyous, harmless people, dancing their way through the streets, chanting to bells in their colourful robes. But in one particular Australian offshoot, a young woman named Lina told me about her not-so-harmless experiences.
Full research sources listed on each episode page at www.ltaspod.com. You can support the creation of this independent podcast at www.patreon.com/ltaspod.
With thanks to Audio-Technica, presenting partner for season 3 of Let's Talk About Sects.
If you have been personally affected by involvement in a cult, or would like to support those who have been, you can find support or donate to Cult Information and Family Support if you’re in Australia (via www.cifs.org.au), and you can find resources outside of Australia with the International Cultic Studies Association (via www.icsahome.com).
Australian bushfire crisis appeals: Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery (www.redcross.org.au/campaigns/disaster-relief-and-recovery-donate), WWF's Australian Wildlife and Nature Recovery Fund (www.wwf.org.au/get-involved/bushfire-emergency), and Fire Relief Fund for First Nations Communities (au.gofundme.com/f/fire-relief-fund-for-first-nations-communities). Please donate if you can.
Written and Hosted by Sarah Steel
Researched by Haley Gray and Sarah Steel
Music by Joe Gould
- About ISKCON — background at Krishna.com, accessed November 2019
- What You Need to Know About Hare Krishnas — by Barbara Bradley Hagerty, NPR, 22 May 2008
- Wollumbin — Geographical Names Extract, Geographical Names Board, accessed November 2019
- Wollumbin (Mount Warning) summit track — NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service listing, accessed November 2019
- Hardly Krishna — by Sushi Das, The Age, 2 June 2003
- Judge Rejects Charges of ‘Brainwashing’ Against Hare Krishna Aides — by Murray Schumach, The New York Times, 18 March 1977
- Krishna Expels Leader of Group Under U.S. Probe — UPI, Los Angeles Times, 18 March 1987
- Krishnas to file for bankruptcy — BBC News 8 February 2002
- Woman dies at NSW Hare Krishna retreat — AAP, The Sydney Morning Herald, 22 February 2006
- Hare Krishna Movement Details Past Abuse at Its Boarding Schools — by Laurie Goodstein, The New York Times, 9 October 1998
- ISKCON finds itself in a holy mess after students file $400-million sexual abuse suit — by Arthur J. Pais, India Today, 26 June 2000
- Interview with Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja — Perth, Australia, 23 December 1998
- Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja — profile on PureBhakti.com, accessed November 2019
- ISKCON - Lifestyle and Practice — The Heart of Hinduism, accessed November 2019
- The Hare Krishna Movement: The Postcharismatic Fate of a Religious Transplant — by Edwin Bryant and Maria Ekstrand, Columbia University Press, 2004
- The Hare Krishna Movement: Forty Years of Chant and Change — by Graham Dwyer and Richard J. Cole, Bloomsbury Academic, 2007
- Krishna Payouts Begin — by Hector Becerra, Los Angeles Times, 26 June 2005
- Murder, Sex and Free Food
- How the Portland Sect of Hare Krishna's are Struggling to Overcome a Very Shady Past — by Frank Bures, Portland Mercury, 21 June 2001
- Dark side of Krishna: Looming class-action suit alleges physical and sexual abuse of kids — by Jean Sonmor, Toronto Sun, 4 July 1999
- Living with Krishna — by Marcela Rojas, Los Angeles Times, 23 March 2001
- To Hare Krishna and back — by Elizabeth Stieber, Northeast Times (Pennsylvania), December 2004
- Pure Bhakti Yoga Society — Bhakti Yoga meeting invitation, Murwillumbah, accessed December 2019
- The Truth About Srila B.V.Narayan Maharaja Parts I-IV — by Madan Mohan Dasa, response to the GBC Position Paper Concerning Srila Narayana Maharaja, accessed December 2019
- Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura — ISKCON profile of Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada’s guru, accessed December 2019
- Gaudiya Vaishnava History — backg...